- Wisdom is knowing what to do next, skill is knowing how to do it,
and virtue is doing it.
- A wise old owl sat on an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard;
Why aren't we like that wise old bird?
- A wise man makes his own decisions,
an ignorant man follows public opinion.
- By three methods we may learn wisdom:
first, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by imitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is the most bitter.
- Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.
- Wisdom is not a product of schooling
but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.
- Wise men speak because they have something to say;
Fools because they have to say something.
- The truest greatness lies in being kind,
the truest wisdom in a happy mind.
- The beginning of wisdom is found in doubting;
by doubting we come to the question,
and by seeking we may come upon the truth.
- I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.